Project Controls Engineer
Role description – Purpose
Act as a Project Controls System Functional Lead for Cost Control, Planning or Reporting for multiple or large scopes. Able to independently provide support and guidance to Project Manager throughout project lifecycle and independently and proactively identify and resolve project specific issues pertaining to specialised area of Project Services (Cost/Reporting).
- Hierarchically: Project Services Manager
- Operationally: Project Manager
- Directly Supervises: Junior Project Services Engineer
- Internally: Project Manager, Discipline Leads
- Externally: Client PMT, Client equivalent role
Background – Must have
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Good understanding of project dynamics and lifecycle
- Excellent team working skills
- Good understanding of all elements of Project Controls (Project Estimating, Planning, Scheduling, Reporting, Change and Cost Control)
- Ability to work under pressure
- Self motivated, with strong analytical skills and ability to work under own initiative
- Contractual appreciation and an understanding of typical legal parameters and restraints
- Good understanding of the following project scopes; EPC, FEED and Detailed Design
Background – Nice to have
- Engineering degree or equivalent with minimum of 5 years Project Experience
- Prince2 Practitioner or APM equivalent
Duties and Responsibilities
- Interpret and implement ODE processes to ensure effective Project Services Delivery
- Ability to recognise and deal with changing priorities for the Project Controls Team
- Provide input to proposal / tender Cost Budget / Forecast
- Interpretation of budgets to define and create cost forecasts.
- Work with limited support from Project / Proposal Manager to compile CTR Catalogue and complete Project Baseline
- Develop & manage schedules to incorporate risk, change, resource requirements and cost in accordance with Client and ODE requirements and standards
- Develop, control, monitor, analyse and report on schedule related aspects for assigned projects.
- Establish and monitor a cost and resource loaded, logic linked, baseline plan for the project
- Work with the Project Manager and the Project team to establish the project activities, cost and durations and ensure that these reflect project scope, constraints and commitments. Challenge as necessary to ensure optimisation, compatibility and compliance.
- Can act as a Project Controls System Functional Lead for Cost Control or Reporting
- Monitor, control and analyse the project schedule and cost information using Earned Value methodologies, identify variances and bring these to the attention of the Project Manager with possible actions. Prepare specific reports to facilitate challenge and analysis to meet the project’s specific needs.
- Act as Cost Control Focal Point to ensure the successful Project Control implementation for new projects or proposals
- Provide trended data to the Programme and/or Project Manager based on performance trends to date and emerging trends
- Conduct full and detailed variance analysis and subsequent root cause analysis, followed by provision of narrative, recommendations & recovery planning in accordance with monthly reporting timescales
- Interpret Progress specifics and advise of any potential to optimise project financial performance at project inception
- Assist with scope change preparation and reforecasting
- Conduct / provide input to variance analysis and subsequent root cause analysis, followed by provision of narrative, recommendations & recovery planning in accordance with monthly reporting timescales
- Contribute to progress meetings, as required, in support of the Project Manager.
- Contribute to Lessons Learnt process throughout the project lifecycle
- Responsible for the identification and independent resolution of project specific issues pertaining to Project Services systems and tools.
- Responsible for the preparation and issue of project cost reports in accordance with the requirements of the Project Manager, Client and Contractual obligations; including internal and client reports, Gross Profit forecast and analysis and revenue accrual / provision
- Responsible for the delivery of CTR Catalogue and Project Baseline and for providing any associated support to Proposal / Project Manager
- Responsible for providing assistance to scope change preparation and reforecasting
- Monitor, control and analysis of the project schedule and cost information using Earned Value methodologies, identification of variance and highlighting for the attention of the Project Manager with proposed actions. Preparation of bespoke / specific reports to facilitate project control analysis
- Responsible for the provision of trended data to the Programme and/or Project Manager based on performance trends to date and emerging trends